Parent and Professional Development
Our Parent and Professional Development programs offer inspiration, education and community building opportunities to new and experienced parents and caregivers.
Embodied Mindfulness Training Course For Educators
Hosted by Breakwater
Looking for a way into a mindfulness practice that doesn’t require long periods of sitting still or tying yourself into a pretzel?
Been inspired to bring mindfulness into your classroom, but didn’t know how to do this authentically?
EMBODIED MINDFULNESS is an active, body-centered approach to a mindfulness practice, based in yoga philosophy: the union of body, mind, and spirit.
- $75 for six afterschool sessions and one full day retreat
- Six Tuesdays - February 28, (no class March 7), March 14, 21, 28, April 4, and 11 from 4:00-5:30 pm at Breakwater School in Portland.
- Plus one full day retreat Saturday, April 1, at The Barn at Windpointe in Freeport.
- Contact facilitator Danielle Gorman for more information and to register. Space is limited!
- Childcare available through Breakwater Enrichment with advance registration and payment. Contact for more information.
Through this course participating educators will:
- Develop a home embodied mindfulness practice;
- Learn mindfulness techniques to share with your students;
- Discover for yourself, and for your students, a powerful resource of wisdom, creativity, and intelligence: your body.
More effective than traditional seated meditation practice, Embodied Mindfulness is proven to:
- Reduce stress;
- Promote higher cognitive functioning and job performance;
- Reduce chronic pain and IBS;
- Lesson symptoms of depression and anxiety.
No previous yoga or mindfulness experience required. No physical limitation is a barrier to this course.
If you can breathe, you can do this.
Danielle Gorman, c-IAYT, is one of the first yoga therapists in the state of Maine to receive full certification through the International Association of Yoga Therapists. She is also a veteran teacher and educational consultant. Currently, she teaches general music,creative movement, and mindfulness at Breakwater School where she is developing a dual purpose mindfulness & music education curriculum for Early Childhood. In addition, she has a private mind/body therapy family practice, and teaches training courses & workshops on embodied mindfulness throughout the state of Maine.
Banner photo credit